CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Wrong place, wrong time.


Today I went house hunting as we want to move to the other side of town to be close to our friends and its just generally a better, safer area. I did my errands I need to do before picking the agent from his office, the whole morning it was poring rain, and I felt like calling the house hunting off till a brighter day. But its cut to a sprinkle then stopped, we went on to see the house that was available for immediate booking. I'm driving a Land Cruiser GX, Manual. I've just had this car for 3 days, as my lovely husband just upgraded me from a Land Cruiser VX automatic, I've had many manual cars before and actually enjoy being in better control.
We got to the area I wanted to stay in, but continued driving out, and out and out...I told him this was way to far for me to stay as I have to drive to my moms place every day. He said it was just up the hill, and I could see the house by then so I started up the hill, as soon as I start climbing I regretted it, I was swaying back and forth on a very slippery mud hill, about 75 degree angle, i was swerving everywhere to just stay on the road, but no luck, I yanked the hand break to a halt cuz my left back wheel was a centimeter from slipping off the edge. I only wish now I had a picture of how the car was sitting. The edge of the road was slanted drop of 3 feet before a brick wall. I put some stones down behind the wheel in case the car decided to disobey and slide down the bank. I tried to call my hubby to ask him which 4wd would be best in my situation, but he didn't answer, so I called mom, she said L4 would be the best. My legs were shaking, and I had gather about 12 onlookers telling me "its best I try to drive to the other side of the road, or I'll fall in." A DUH!!!
After having a quick prayer with mom on the phone, I went to readjust my zipper, as I had been down next to the wheel, when pulling the zipper up.......I pulled right it off and my zip opened all the way down. So here I am, stranded, one wheel almost in ditch and now no way to hold by pants up or turn them around so the open zip would be in the front(as if that would be any better). I was still on the phone with mom when my zip broke, so told her that I now couldn't walk anywhere even if I wanted to. She said forget about your pants get your car out of the ditch. After claiming the Keys of Peace I got in the car (butt first)and did a hand break start....feeling that I didn't have enough faith that I'd be able to pull it up and out. Without further thought, I started out,....I was out, continued going up very slowly till I hit gravel. I switched off the car, and took a deep breath, It was all the Lord. The agent I was with was having a blast, he was so happy I did it, helping me bring out the good in the situation, saying how if I would have been with my husband he would have done it, and I never would have had to do it, now that I've done it I have more faith in my driving. I won't be going over to that side of town for a very long time, but it was an experience to remember.

4 comments:

Teacup said...

Congrats Machi! Gotta love those definining moments in life! X Nice blog template btw.

Machi said...

thanx, i like it too, but wish I could change the color, not jazzed about the whole grey/white thing, but its a great pic. love ya.

Jules said...

Yikes. Big yikes. I admire you Machi, I probably would have just sat there until someone came to bail me out. That's kind of how I roll :)

Lady Jo said...

I just got this halarious visual of you trying to keep your zipper up and do all that! But you're a champ anyway! Love you!