I know most of you may think I've dropped off the planet or all together just given up on blogging. Well not true. I had a 3 week visit to my rellies in Kenya where I have no source of internet access there, and since coming back, I haven't been able to upload any pictures. So for now I've decided to settle with posting something so you know I'm still alive and kicking.
Some good news is my husband and I just celebrated our 5th anniversary. I made him his favorite indian meal with rice, Naan, and some good wine. Just the 2 of us with candlelight,(thanks to coincidental perfect timing there was no power) my mom kept the kids so we could have an quiet night. It was simple, and nice.
Nawaz called me one day to say that he was walking home from work. I didn't believe him at first then when he showed up an hour later at the front door, I couldn't believe him. For most this wouldn't be un unbelieveable task, but Nawaz is a hard smoker, with quiet a stomach, The walk is 5,2km. He did it in 1 hour and 15min on his first day, after a few days of this new routine he'd make it in 55 min, I was pleasantly surprised and greatful for this new spurge of motivation from him. Over dinner one night, he pops up with "I don't think you can make it! I've spoiled you too much with you 4x4. Come to my office tomorrow, drop your car and I'll keep your bag!"
So the next morning with not a coin in my pocket, but only my phone, house keys and MP3 player, headed off on the 5,2km walk. At first I was nervous, as when I go without exercise, I can go for a good 3-4 months without being bothered, as i'm running after my kids all day, an playing soccer with Aslan, and hide and seek with Zohra, I never feel the urge to have a work out on the side it my time to do constructive things. To be clear on how lazy I get at times, I have a exersise bike at home but haven't touched it for 2 months. So as I started walking I wasn't sure at first, but as the 1st km pasted, then the 2nd, I was expecting to get tired but never did, I was sweating, yeah, it was 11am in hot sun, (the only time I had to do the walk) Well, I made it home in 52 min with breath still in my lungs, even with all the hills, dust and traffic, I didn't get asthma, and actually felt great.
I know that 5,2km is a short distance for some of you and may be easy, but after a while with no exercise,I'm proud of myself, now I walk anywhere and feel its a very sort distance. Lets hope I can keep it up.
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Starting a new habit.
Posted by Machi at 12:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Sooo good to finally hear from you! Love to Nawaz and eh, woman you are sounding like an African.
I know, it comes so natural now, its bugging, course I was also in a rush to blog, but no excuses. Miss you girl, keep in touch.
Good for you Machi! You'll be running that in no time. ;)
Haha. Remember our first jog there together? But he hills make for a nice walk--minus all that dust. Love you!
Post a Comment