
I have had 4 phones in my 5 years in Africa, the loss of the first 3 had to do with my beloved children, the first one's life was eventless, but died a little young from too much use, the next one I had was a one that opens from the side(had a comp inside,with internet,the whole deal, don't ask me why my hubby gave that one to me, but he did, about a week after getting this one, I'm playing with my girl Zohra not tuning into the trickle of water I hear going for about 5 min, when it clicks to check if I left a tap on, I get to the tap to see Aslan phone in one hand, toothbrush in other, both under running water. 
He looks up at me happily with a big proud grin, "mommy, I'm washing your phone!" My heart stoped longer than it would on the toughest rollercoaster. The loss of the phone was sad, yes. But how would I tell my hubby, what would I say, "I wasn't paying attention to aslan, an when I checked on him, ....this happened...." I had hardly owned the phone for a week, an nawaz originally planned to resell it. (valuble that it had been) The next one was Zohra, once in class while she was playing an I was teaching the boys at my moms. I turned my head once an she put it in my morning tea, the intire phone sunk, I was so close to her that I litterally saw it sink.....ARG....
The next one was also Zohra....I know you are thinking that wouldn't I have learned by now....but alas, every senerio is different, I guard it from one thing, the next thing happened....keep reading.
So this time I'm visiting rellies in Kenya, the phone is on charge in my bedroom, an I'm in the sittingroom with in-laws out in the sitting room, when I notice the silence so get up to check on zohra to find her feeding her (now half empty) milk bottle to my phone.. I laugh now, but it really wasn't funny, an I'm so angry that things just keep on happening.....its my unlucky part of life...me an my phones. 
Now this last one I've had now for over 6 months, I haven't like any phone like this one, I've been overly protective over it, cuz of my personal phone history, I wear my bag everywhere even if its only carrying my phone, I never let the kids touch it, where as before they used to touch the other ones...., its always up high somewhere, I bought a phone case to wear on my waist, an had been blessed an happy that nothing has happened to this one, as I was strangly attached to it. On this particular day I happened to be wearing an outfit that neither had pockets nor a place for me to hook the case, I had just finished getting the kids ready to go have dinner at rellies place, when hubby called an wanted the kids to sleep there so I had to run up while talking with him an get extra clothes, to finish getting the clothes an done talking on the phone I had everything in my arms running down to the car to get the kids seatbelted in the car an get out of there quickly, as I was already late, (its during Ramadan for them, an you have to break your fast on the minute...) I quickly drove off after a quick prayer for safety.
Reaching my destination, I wanted to call Nawaz as he too was late, looking for my phone an not finding it suprised me, I ask around if anyone has seen it, checked my car, bag, kids bag, tried calling it but it was switched off, now the first sign of a missing phone that is switched off, you know it's been stollen, but I hadn't been anywhere out only my place, moms place then where I was, I called, they checked,...but nothing. I called my place, also nothing. I tried to move on with the dinner event, but couldnt' relax, while talking to my sis-in-law she said, could you have left it in any bathroom, in the car, on the car....THEN IT HIT ME. I had left it on the car. I was talking on the phone just before getting in the car, I had put it on the roof of my Rav4 while i locked the kids in their seatbelt, then forgetting it there, ran around an got in an drove off. Then most likely when I hit one of the 4 spead bumps to the main road it fell off an open which caused it to open, battery come out, therefore being off. SOB.
The part that hurts me most is that I know exactly where I left it, when I left it, an I can't erase time, the next day I got up early an walked my road to the main road about 4 times, hoping I'd get a glimps of it. Mike said he tried to call me the morning after I lost it, an a woman picked up, he didn't hear that I lost it so just hung up after thinking he called the wrong number, I tried calling for 2 days, only to find it switched off every time so I gave up. PTL. So there you have it. My sad tale of my doomed mobile phones. My husband is hesitant to buy me another nice one, an I guess I can see why if I think back. I had an extra one at home (the simple red one in the pic above) in case something like this happened to me, though after all my water experience with the phone I was always very careful to never have it out around water, but I guess when your so careful about one thing, something else has to happen.
Oh well, Thank God I have one at all.
Sunday, October 21, 2007
The Hight of Stupitidty!!!!
Posted by Machi at 10:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
ohhhhh, ha ha ha....I can't believe it! It's not that you're that irresponsible or your kids are terrors, ha! But why does this keep happening to you! Too much!
lol.......
haha. At least it makes for a great story--or a few stories. Love you!
And you're a great mom, so there.
X! Miss you as always!...wanna waste time with me???...
Post a Comment